Bernhard Leitner studied Architecture at the Technical University in Vienna. From 1968 to 1983 he lived in New York, where he started working on architectural and sculptural spaces built and formed with sound. He was Associate Professor at NYU (1971 -1982) and published articles in Artforum and in Art in America. Between 1987 and 2005 he became Professor for Media Art at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna. He is considered a pioneer of the art form generally referred to as ‘Sound Art’. The scale of his work reaches from large permanent urban installations (Le Cylindre Sonore,Paris; Sound Field 1020 Vienna; Sound-Space, Technical University Berlin) to body-related sound sculptures (Sound Chair; Vertical Space for one Person; Sound Suit; Sound Swing; Head-Space-Pieces).